:...guitar nuts on the quest for superb tone...:

Monday, November 14, 2005

Something special....

I call it the third dimension of a ministry band...

I've played in a lot of different bands over the years - some good, some not so good. In my time I've seen many two dimesional bands and few three dimesional ones. The first two dimesnsions are the skill and preparation required to pull off stage stuff well - technical stuff, which of course is vital to any good sounding group. But surprisingly I've played in few bands that can take the two dimesional image of the group and create the depth - that element of relationship and depth that turn the stage into somthing else I call a ministry... something special...

Some years ago I had played with a band called Pneumatika - a ministry band that travelled around Ontario with encouraging leaders and leading young people to know Jesus better. Great memories and changed lives - both for the kids and us... we had the chance to get back together and lead again... was really cool.

Got home late Sunday night from spending a weekend with a great bunch of guys and gals.
We left London around 11:00am on Friday to play a number of worship sets up at mbc during feb's jr.high youth bedlam event that ran until Sunday. To some it up: we had a fantastic time of practicing, playing, leading, and hanging out with sooo many kids... I had lost my voice on the Friday - not due to strenuous vocal activity but was the after fx of the flu I had the week before. Anyway, I litterally couldn't say a word all weekend... no singing... no laughing.... no talking. It was really frustrating at first but soon realized the importance of just being a part of a team without opening my big yap all the time. I realized the importance of listening well to other people - something I'm learning is so important on any team. Interesting: I was thinking to myself on the ride home in the van (cause I coulnd't talk yet LOL) about some of my fav. sports leaders and how little they say in the heat of the battle during games...hmmm... just made me think about the importance of 'taming the tongue' I suppose - a great weekend for me.

Got to hang with a cool band called hello kelly - a local canadian band with a sweet, sweet sound doing a good thing. They rocked out a concert after our Saturday night session. Man, check out the band - cool guys wiht a cool ministry. If you like OurLadyPeace you'll really dig the vocals and riffs in this band. Gear was cool: guitars were gibson and guitar players were usin' Crate and Mesa stacks - good sound... real nice guys too. If you get a chance to book 'em do it... very entertaining show. Had to laugh...typical guitar rockers: i went back to the board and looked at the levels a bit... I noticed the mutes were pressed on the guitar channels during the enitre show..lol. Eric the engineer just shrugged and laughed... those guitar players just wouldn't turn down for some reason lol... Man those guitars were reeeeaaaalllly loud! The venue provided sound basically to run the vocals thru..lol. Oh well, sounded great and the kids loved it... a great weekend. :)

3 Comments:

  • Hey i was checking out Rod Martins webpage when i came across your comment. I saw that you guys were up at Bedlam last weekend, and i wanted to say good job. I work up at MBC and i saw you guys around last weekend and was even able to take in one of the sessions. I really enjoyed the worship, so i thought i'd let you know. Rock On!! Later.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/16/2005  

  • thanx mel - yeah I frequent Rod's bolg - he was my sr. high youth pastor back in the day...always great to catch up with him... thanx for encouragin'... rock always...

    By Blogger Andy, at 11/16/2005  

  • ok lets try this again, having computer problems....

    you don't know me, I had the opportunity to got to a few Pneumatica concerts b4 i was in high school, I really enjoyed them- bought 2 cds.... over the years your music has really spoken to me, still does (yer cd is playing as i type this), thank you for your ministry... it was not in vain

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/07/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home