:...guitar nuts on the quest for superb tone...:

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

BIG-MATT ATTACK!!!

Well, i just got home from school and i got Ando-matic's email about this nifty new blogger....I figured I'd leave some sites for your perusal.

http://www.engl-amps.com/engl-amps/

Here's an interesting company that offers amps, cabinets, rackgear, and combos. In and around various forums i've seen a lot of gear head's giving them rave reviews...it's difficult to tell the quality from the sound samples they've given me (basically using computer mics, LOL!), but they seem pretty crushing!

http://www.rhinoamps.com/

Rhino amps..who wouldn't want to sound like our favourite large, horned, smelly mammal?! These sound pretty neat based on *their* samples (obviously they may be misleading). The reason I'm interested in these amps will be apparent to those who know me upon entering...hehe. Malmsteen uses a big, stinkin' wall of marshalls anyways....these guys are kidding themselves. EDIT: I forgot to mention that their site is sort of wacked right now. I checked the source code, but i couldn't find any link tags....so basically their website is inaccessable, but you can still check out the nifty front page hehe.

http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/index.html

Fuch's amps have caught my attention recently due to their miniscule guitar world add (ususally near the front of the mag), and a jazz/blues/fusion guitarist i listen to uses these, and he has a dead-smoking tone! I dont' believe he's signed or anything (last time i checked!) but he's an excellent musician. I just remembered his name, Scott Learner. http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/RhumbaBlues.mp3 here is a sound sample of Scott in action, hosted by the Fuch's site.

http://www.jimsoloway.com/27inch.htm

"Sweet, shocks....peggs...lucky!!!" -Napoleon Dynamite. These 7 string guitars have a 27" scale (hence, "the swan"), are semi-hollow, and are available in many different high quality tone woods. I haven't even heard of some of the available wood selections, so they must be good!!


http://www.edromanguitars.com/

Here is a very popular site visited by guitarists all over. I first heard of this site when i was living in Florida, my friend Vern turned me onto it. Ed Roman's Custom Shop builds and modifies some of the most beautiful guitars i've ever seen.

http://www.carvin.com/

K, everyone has heard of carvin, but they seriously are THAT good. A buddy of mine bought a custom 7-string for $1500 (including a lovely tweed case). It is absolutely smokin'. One of the best guitars i have ever played. I bought a small power amp from them to use in conjunction with a marshall cabinet and pod 2.0. The thing is really sturdy for what it is, although a solid state poweramp combined with an outdated digital modelling device doesn't go very far, as far as ear candy is concerned. It's a mediocre sound. I'm looking forward to eventually buying a tube poweramp to use in conjunction with my mesa/boogie formula pre. I'm trying to avoid buying an actual mesa power amp unless i can get a really good deal...they sound great, but are severely overpriced, to me.

Well, Dinner Time!
Gotta Run!
Happy Surfing.

3 Comments:

  • MATTTOOOOOOO....man I miss talking with ya - holy links! Love it. I added them to the link bar to the right. Keep sending them in. I'm still digesting those ones - very cool. Yeah I had heard of Carvin but had never checked em out - sweet site. oohhh that reminds me... ever been to Boston Guitar.com? they're good too - huuuuuge shop! Man we need to open a shop like this in Canada - how 'bout...right in the London area... anyway. I'm convinnced every american musician comes up here and thinks all of us canucks play like stompin tom conners - not that that's a really bad thing....but...it is a really bad thing! Thank you Avril Lavigne....... :) ANdy

    By Blogger Andy, at 3/23/2005  

  • PS Matt - I've got Nathan T. on deck to join the bloggin too - he vast melon is full of great links to just about every kind of electronic store you can imagine - Nathan....if you'er out there...............pleeeeeeasssssee come and play with us!!!!!!! hey matt, you played the Lexicon MPX1? Dunno if it's any good - just thought I'd ask... u richard?

    By Blogger Andy, at 3/23/2005  

  • yeah I frequent harmony central too - ann murray lol... funny how they've probably sold multi-platnum hahah... MPX-1: I gotta try it before I get it - I'd just like to give it a whirl to see what it can do. That Eventide eclipse is sure nice - amazing synth patches...WOWOW!!!

    By Blogger Andy, at 3/23/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home