:...guitar nuts on the quest for superb tone...:

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Fantastic, that's for Shure!


Well, all I've got to say that it'll be hard to go back to floor wedge monitors after using these amazing in-ears! On the quest of eliminating stage noise the church was able to invest in a bunch of the Shure E2 IEM's last week and man, what a difference - amazing!. At first it seemed a bit weird - listening to a "sterile" mix... all tones so crisp and clear on the stage is new to me. I've just been so used to playing in live environments where there is so much noise bleed everywhere that it becomes impossible to fine tune tones and fx - not anymore...muwhahahaha! These little E2 buds are the next best thing to sliced bread and Betty Crocker. Not only can I hear my guitar clearly but I can get a fantastic mix of the drums, bass, and BGV's... and these E2's are little brother to Shure's dual-driver IEM's. Even without the low-end driver these babies rock! I only use one in the left ear so that I can still get the low end of the bass off the stage amp and hear the rest of the auditorium. It would be difficult to go back to the floor wedge now... and man, my AC30 patch sounds even better through these babies!

2 Comments:

  • Hey Matt - yeah, I feel so..."CSI" with them on too :) can't wait to get those mp3's either.:)

    Richard: The E2's use a bodypack (the Shure P2RE2's) that have the capability of being wired or wireless. At this point, the church only has one pack running wireless for the worship leader - the other three are wired: bass guitar, drummer, and lead guitar. Our soprano and alto singers still share a wedge floor monitor (until we can get a few more IEM's)
    All IEM's are controlled by aux sends at the FOH being routed backstage through a low-end Behringer earphone distribution unit (the Powerplay Pro-XL HA4700 I believe) that is rack mounted above our amplifiers. Our three wired IEM's are being fed by cables running out of this unit directly to the musicians...just reeeeally long cables. Yeah, it's a bit anoying but the great thing about these packs is that they can easily migrate to wireless. I didn't see the stuff being installed so I'll have to double check my specs at the church but I think that's pretty close.

    By Blogger Andy, at 5/10/2005  

  • Spec-check: ok, I went backstage and checked out the IEM setup - a bit different than my assumptions - here's the deal:

    1. It is the Powerplay Pro-XL rackmount but only one aux send is going into it (it feeds the same mix to two IEM's via 1/4" to bass and drums)
    2. worship leader has his own aux send hooked into his wireless reciever
    3. lead guitar is wired directly from another aux send using an XLR to 1/4" adapter.

    *that makes 3 aux sends in total feeding the four IEM's on the stage. Like I said before, our other vocalists still share a wedge monitor until we can get a few more IEM's. Can't stress enough about the clarity of the mix - I can even get that sweet skin of the kick in there - pretty amazing. I know that there are folks out there that hate the dumb things - I know Skip does. Because I usually setup my guitar camp to stage left, I keep my left IEM in and the right one out - so I can get the best of both worlds: good live energy from the drums etc.. yet still got the clarity of vocals. It's great for hearing nice crisp vocals too - the IEM's personally give me more confidence not only to hear the tones as guitar player but also to hear and sing the tenor parts I need to sing. Truly remarkable technology!

    By Blogger Andy, at 5/15/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home