:...guitar nuts on the quest for superb tone...:

Monday, April 04, 2005

Getting good tone on Tape

I have been on a bit of a personal quest lately... to get the guitar sound or well close to the guitar sound I hear on many commercial recordings.

In my very modest home setup resources are limited but I'm trying.

I'm really after the full "wall of sound" tone.

If you guys have some additional pointers please share.


Here are a few of the best of the web:
Recording Electric Guitar, SOS
Recording Guitar, MIX
Recording Electric Guitar, Electronic Musician

I have been using a Sennheiser e609 silver and a shure SM58 (my 2 dynamic mics) --> a mackie 1402 VLZ Pro --> Maudio delta/44 -->PC running Nuendo.
and so far the results have been well fair... more experimenting to come.,. and hopefully some of my own clips? update.... I have a SM57 on the way (ebay) so more mics to play with.

Just so you know the ballpark sound I am aiming for; Here is a clip recorded by a fellow forum member at the HC amp forum, ..
I was blown away to hear the sound this guy got @ home with no outboard gear (besides the preamp)
*Note this is the best clip I have heard on there in a while, They make these clips just to show the capabilities of the amp and not sit well in a mix (o:

Mesa F50 - by Tommi Inkila

This is done with 1 solo guitar, and 2 rhythm guitars (left and right)

The signal chain is Ernie Ball Musicman--> Mesa F50--> H&K 4X12 w/celestion Vintage30--> Shure SM57--> SPL goldmike MK2---> Cubase


SPL Goldmike MK2
.

Im my opinion the clip above sounds very 3-d, clear and defined while being fat and full range all at the same time. It just seems to have so much clarity.
With my setup I am having a hard time finding the line between muddy and shrill; and well that may be partly due to the mackie preamps I am using. I just cannot seem to achieve the clarity I have heard in some other recordings.
Now the questions,
Do any of you have experiance with higher end recording interfaces, preamps or channel strips?
Do they make a big impact on the final recorded sound compared to a cheaper pres like the ones on a mickie mixer or similar? I am thinking this should be my next studio upgrade... any recomendations?
Thanks
NB

2 Comments:

  • Hey boyz - yeah, I think Richard is best to answer this baby - I think he's in Augusta this week taking in The Masters Tournament - he'll post when he's back I'm sure.

    By Blogger Andy, at 4/05/2005  

  • Well, Nate, you know what a huge fan I am of the F50 - ever since I first plugged into it a year and a half ago. The sound clip rocks... Tommi Inkila sounds like a cross between Steve Howe and Joe Satriani. Anyway, hard to belive that's an F50... I'm sure the pre does give it a bit of sweetness too of course.

    By Blogger Andy, at 4/05/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home