:...guitar nuts on the quest for superb tone...:

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Tone Of Gold


Ok guitar nuts - I need some help. Crystal Lewis has to be one of my all time fav female artists. This album called "Gold" came out in 1998 and contains some of the greatest guitar tones I've ever heard. Shawn Tubbs is the session player on the record and man can this guy play. I'd like to ask any of you out there what exactly Shawn is doing on track nine (Why). The lyrics/guitar/bass combinations draw my ears back to listen time and time again - I just can't get over how much the guitar sings as much as Crystal in this song. There is soooo much power in finding and utilizing great tone - and to make that tone communicate a message... what an art. I understand that post-prod. ie)eq etc.. has a great deal to do with the final outcome of any guitar track recorded, but Shawn's doin somethin' right on the tracking end. Any comments welcome to me. I'd sure love to play like this guy. Wow. It's one of my favorite songs to savour... The song itself is a bit dark and bluesy but the tones...wow... the tones!!! Give it a download from iTunes and have a listen. The entire album is pretty cool but track nine has my ears in a trance. Amazing what great tone can do.

Andy

PS - here's a snapshot of Shawn Tubbs' rig.

2 Comments:

  • welcome Trev - finally, eh? hehe - glad to see you've got it workin' ok :) A.

    By Blogger Andy, at 3/29/2005  

  • Yeah, his phrasing is quite spectacular. I can tell that it's his soul playing those lines... a very 'spiritual' element if I can use the term.

    By Blogger Andy, at 3/31/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home