:...guitar nuts on the quest for superb tone...:

Saturday, March 26, 2005

One More Thing for Tonight....

The Fender Amp Field Guide

This website is an information gold mine on fender amplification! I came across when i was researching a friend's mystery amp. A student of mine was given an all tube fender amp by his father's friend. Upon first inspection i could tell it was somewhat unique. The amp features 2 normal inputs, 2 reverb inputs, vol, treb, bass, reverb and volume, treble, mid, bass that all feature a boost option. This amp didn't have an obvious model name written on it (although i realized it did today), and the grille has been redone. Upon finding the amp online i learned that the amp was only manufactured in '80 to '81 and features a tube rectifier(5U4) and tube reverb. You cannot get tube reverb on some of the new tube fender models (deluxe and deville), and you cannot even get a tube rectifier on the fender twin (their flagship model, although many of the older ones had solid state rectifiers and some did not). I actually don't think that either of those are vitally important, but some tube-purists refuse buy amps with things like solid state tremolo on it (nevermind reverb!)!!

I'm considering saving some dough for a deville or delux, as they both have a "power amp in" on the rear panel. I'd really like to run my mesa/boogie" formula 1" pre amp through a tube poweramp, to do it some justice. It has sounded fantastic all of the times i have used it with a tube power amp (i've tried it with a mesa strategy 500, peavey classic 30, mesa 50/50, and my buddy's fender 30). Until i can get my hands on something with a tube power amp, i'll be using my POD 2.0.

2 Comments:

  • Can't wait to see and hear the rig as it comes together - I love the Deville - very nice amplifier. Hey, have you had a chance to dabble in the Crate Voodoo series? You might associate Crate with Crap but I insist.. you must check out these amps. My buddy Chris let me borrow his for a few days...WOW! What an amp! Very voxish ... Didn't know you had a mesa formula 1 pre - very cool - have you seen the very cool mesa V1 BR yet! Neato little pre - I might pick one up soon. A.

    By Blogger Andy, at 3/27/2005  

  • lol - I haven't used a lot of digitech stuff but if apprearances were everything... there's nothing like making your stomp boxes look like they're made my Fisher Price..lol. On the 5150: yeah, I remember when the 5150 came out.... OOOOOO everyone check out the "brown sound" of Eddie!! Man, I sure wish the amp came with a built in noise-gate - I flipped the thing on and cranked the gain only to hear the same sound that comes out of one of those overhead fans in a bathroom... way too noisy...impossible to contain...maybe THAT's the brown sound, I thought to myself.? Oh yeah, I was hoping the 5150 came with a hydraulic hoist to lift it's outrageous weight...and I'm not talking about the inflated price either. The amp weighed like 80 lbs or something crazy - I think not. Sorry Eddie - you rock but the amp's gotta go.

    By Blogger Andy, at 3/28/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home