:...guitar nuts on the quest for superb tone...:

Friday, March 25, 2005

Strings Too


I know that strings play a huge role in the kind of tone that comes out of a guitar. I've been seriously considering resetting up me prs with thicker strings. I currently equip the prs with D'Addario .009 - .0046 and it's hard to believe that I haven't paid too much attention to my strings... partly becuase I was grid-locked in a very rhythmic style of play - very clean, warm sounds - very little drive on the amp. I think I've played the past 5 years this way. As I gravitate toward trying to develope some killer tones, I seem to get stuck on getting that full-bodied, rich crunch that I'm going for. No matter what kind of processing I put my guitar thru, my quest for this crunchy, messy tone is nothing without a string upgrade to the axe. Lately I've noticed that as my playing intesifies, so does the fret-rattle - even to the point that when I strike an E chord the low E string worbles almost up to an F!!! Sheesh. I know my style is going through some musical evolution so I've got migrate the string setup too. I buy D'Addario's 'casue they are cheap. Any good suggestions on some strings I could try? I'm not going to kill my fingers and move up to 11's - probably just 10's. Give me some suggestions - and yes... I've tried Elixir's and I find they snap easy - anyone else? I think Elixir's look really cool in the pretty pink package but that's about it. You can try to sell me on 'em anyway, just for fun. Well, I'm open to try just about anything after I setup the axe... and I'll give you all the official update when I'm finally happy.. with my superb tone... for now...

Now I did find a web-site here that's a shop based in TO that sounds like they've got good strings. Might try them out too... who knows.... back to my 9's for now...

1 Comments:

  • thanx MAtt - I give 'em all a whirl! yeah I can't fathom going 11's - might as well go to Home Depot and get some brass tubing and slap that on the neck (hahaha). Zakk Wylde set sounds cool - I give em a go and keep ya posted. Andy :)

    By Blogger Andy, at 3/25/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home